Saturday, September 4, 2010

day something....

Its been a long time since I posted.  Boy oh boy am I proud of how far we have gotten.  I am came across some quotes from the seabiscuit movie that reminded me of Magic, figured I would share.  

Narrator: The first time he saw Seabiscuit, the colt was walking through the fog at five in the morning. Smith would say later that the horse looked right through him. As if to say, "What the hell are you looking at? Who do you think you are?" He was a small horse, barely fifteen hands. He was hurting too. There was a limp in his walk, a wheezing when he breathed. Smith didn't pay attention to that. He was looking the horse in the eye. 

This first quote is pretty much how I approach starting each and every new horse.  You look them in the eye and search for their heart.  If you can't see the horses heart in their eye, you will fail everytime.  

Red Pollard: [Last line, narrating] You know, everybody thinks we found this broken-down horse and fixed him, but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us. And I guess in a way we kinda fixed each other too. 

Wednesday I had my best ride on Magic up to this point.  We got into the zone, she was listening to every cue and waiting for the next one.  There is only one other horse that gets into that zone with me, the wonderful Caley of course.  Its really hard to describe this zone, its like the world stops turning and time stops moving and all there is is wind and ground.  And you go over one jump; ground, wind, ground.  Next jump; ground, wind, ground.  And so on. Just jumping and going and jumping and going.  Magic and I shared one common goal; to defy gravity.  Its like she has been waiting all summer for me to get back, just waiting for me to get on so she can show me what she has decided she wants to do.  Those are the rides that keep my world turning and my clock ticking.  

I have always begged the question, what do people do with out horses????

No comments:

Post a Comment